Coronavirus: Lagos may begin chloroquine clinical trial next week

Nigeria News News

Coronavirus: Lagos may begin chloroquine clinical trial next week
Nigeria Latest News,Nigeria Headlines
  • 📰 MobilePunch
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 115 sec. here
  • 3 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 49%
  • Publisher: 63%

andThe Lagos State Government has said it will commence chloroquine clinical trial for the treatment of the novel coronavirus disease within the next one week or thereabouts.

This is sequel to the approval by the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control that chloroquine could be used for the clinical trial treatment of the deadly disease.

And in a recent interview with one of our correspondents, the DG said the state government had sent its protocol to NAFDAC for final approval which would allow it to begin the clinical trial. Meanwhile, addressing journalists on Friday, Abayomi said the clinical trials were coming at the most appropriate time given the number of cases the state had been recording in recent times. He noted that the state would use hydroxychloroquine produced by original manufacturers and not the generic one and that the state was set to receive “thousands and thousands of the tablets.

The commissioner noted that it needed NAFDAC’s permission, ethics approval and recruitment of the participants in the trial. “We definitely have not reached the peak of our outbreak. We suspect that the peak will happen sometime in July or August and so we are preparing for the oncoming; we are increasing our capacity and strategies to deal with this situation.

Responding to a question on the reason for the discrepancy between the number of active cases and occupancy in the state, he said, “When we test people, we sometimes find it difficult to find them in their apartment and they don’t answer their call.” Ehanire said, “Kogi State is one of the two states that have said that they do not have COVID-19 patients. They seem to be sure of this. So, the agreement we have had with them after discussion with the governor is that we shall send a team in just to validate that fact and engage the authorities.

He added, “A ministerial technical team comprising of various specialists was set up and deployed to Katsina State to assess the situation and report on needed support. Also, calm has been restored in the Gombe State isolation centres.” “We have also received reports from the states, which suggest that the treatment centres are running out of bed spaces,” he added.

He said it was agreed that appropriate personal protective equipment and related protective gears would be provided for security personnel, noting that enlightenment and awareness would be intensified.He added, “However, this increased testing does not translate to higher fatality rates as in the last few days, we have witnessed a good number of discharges and a continually reducing daily fatality rate.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

MobilePunch /  🏆 8. in NG

Nigeria Latest News, Nigeria Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Commissioner urges Lagos Assembly to amend Amotekun, CoronavirusCommissioner urges Lagos Assembly to amend Amotekun, CoronavirusOnigbanjo urged the House to look into the observations and amend them as appropriate, saying that this would enable Sanwo-Olu to effectively carry out his responsibilities. Amotekun Security Coronavirus
Read more »

48 more patients recover from coronavirus in Lagos48 more patients recover from coronavirus in LagosForty-eight more patients have recovered from coronavirus in Lagos State and have been discharged, according to an official statement.
Read more »

Lagos discharges 48 coronavirus patients | The Guardian Nigeria News - Nigeria and World NewsLagos discharges 48 coronavirus patients | The Guardian Nigeria News - Nigeria and World NewsLagos State Government on Thursday said it has discharged 48 coronavirus patients who have recovered from the disease. “I’m pleased to announce to you the discharge of 48 more patients; 32 males and 16 females, all Nigerians who were discharged from our Yaba, Lekki, Onikan and Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH) isolation facilities to reunite …
Read more »

At 183, Lagos records highest cases of coronavirus in one dayAt 183, Lagos records highest cases of coronavirus in one dayThe Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, NCDC, has announced that Lagos recorded 183 cases of coronavirus on Thursday May 7. It is the highest single-day figure reported in the nation's commercial hub since the index case. Kano State had 55 and Jigawa State 44. A total of 381 across the country were confirmed. NCDC tweeted:
Read more »

Coronavirus: How Lagos smallholder farmers lost big during lockdownCoronavirus: How Lagos smallholder farmers lost big during lockdownPresident Muhammadu Buhari, on March 29, ordered a total lockdown of Lagos, FCT and Ogun, and exempted food processing, distribution and retail companies.
Read more »

Coronavirus: Lagos denies health commissioner tested positiveCoronavirus: Lagos denies health commissioner tested positiveThe Lagos State Ministry of Health said on Friday that Akin Abayomi, the commissioner for health in the state, has not tested positive for COVID-19
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-05 22:16:09