Mining company South32 removes hundreds of workers from its two Illawarra underground coal mines as it investigates an issue with an emergency breathing mask.
"The safety and wellbeing of our people is paramount and we have voluntarily withdrawn our underground workforce at both mines," it said.Andy Davey, district secretary of the Construction Forestry, Mining, Maritime and Energy Union, praised the miner for its response.
"We have had a couple of phone calls with enquiries and we have run them through where we are at," Mr Davey said. Mr Burns said suggestions the leak was linked to how South32 stored the sets in cryovac bags had been discounted by the supplier. "If we have any doubts that either the mining companies or supplier are not doing enough to fulfil their duties under the WHS Act then we may take further action to protect workers."
Nigeria Latest News, Nigeria Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
NT man killed in mine collapse | Sky News AustraliaA worker has been killed after a wall collapsed at an open cut mine in the Northern Territory, burying a 59-year-old under rubble.\n\nResources Minister Paul Kirby has ordered operations to cease at the Bootu Creek manganese mine while investigations take place.\n\nThe victim of Saturday's accident has been identified as Craig Butler, a dump truck driver who had been working in the territory for more than a decade. \n\nRecovering Mr Butler's body from the mining site just over 100 kilometres north of Tennant Creek is expected to take some time.\n\nAuthorities say they are waiting for advice from experts about the “volatile” and “unsafe” collapse location before excavation can kick off. \n\nShortly after the accident Singapore-based mining firm OM Holdings Ltd released a statement confirming one of its workers had been killed. \n\n“To all his family, friends and work colleagues, OM (Manganese) Ltd extends its sincerest condolences with support being provided to his family and colleagues.”
Read more »
Gus calls for the heads of NRL's decision makersGus calls for the ultimate shake-up. 💥 9WWOS NRL
Read more »
Sterilisation crisis stalls surgeries in Qld | Sky News AustraliaA Queenslander in desperate need of a kidney has missed out on a transplant due to a sterilisation crisis at Brisbane's Princess Alexandra Hospital. \n\nThe patient missed out on the kidney, which went to a New South Wales recipient listed as number 72 on the priority list. \n\nElective surgeries were postponed last Thursday after the discovery of a chemical residue on sterilised surgical equipment.\n\nPrincess Alexandra Hospital was forced to postpone 130 surgeries, 84 of which were scheduled for Monday alone. \n\nA spokesperson for Metro South Health assured no patients were exposed to the contaminated equipment.
Read more »
Seeping water, unstable ground hamper efforts to recover miner's bodyIt could be days before the body of 59-year-old Craig Butler is able to be recovered from the NT mine site where he was buried alive.
Read more »
Tanya Day inquest: Police officer says Aboriginal woman arrested 'for her own safety'An Aboriginal woman who died in custody after being removed from a Victorian train was intoxicated but not unruly, a police officer has told an inquest.
Read more »
'I want to see your nude body': Former AFP worker avoids jail over Instagram groomingA former Australian Federal Police employee who messaged his partner's 11-year-old daughter about her nude body over Instagram, in order to groom her into having sex with him, avoids jail.
Read more »