Warring lawmakers: Confusion in Nasarawa over two contending speakers

Nigeria News News

Warring lawmakers: Confusion in Nasarawa over two contending speakers
Nigeria Latest News,Nigeria Headlines
  • 📰 MobilePunch
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 50 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 23%
  • Publisher: 63%

Meanwhile, the APC in the state said it would only recognise Abdullahi. The publicity secretary, Otaru Douglas, told our correspondent

in an interview that the party decided to support him because he had been able to establish a good working relationship between the legislature and executive.

Ayiwulu stated, “The law that we have to obey is the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the provisions of sections 92, 94, and 98 thereof. It has laid down the principle to address this situation at hand. The provisions are clear and unambiguous. They derive their strength from section 1 of the constitution which states that anything done outside the provisions of the constitution to that extent is illegal.

He said the number of members-elect who voted was a separate matter, in addition to where the election was held. Another legal practitioner in the state, Innocent Lagi, faulted the governor for having a preferred candidate for the speakership position, saying the governor was responsible for the crisis in the Assembly.

“I think it is not a responsible act for Governor Abdullahi Sule to allow such things to happen under his watch. You should not destroy the arms of government because of your desires to achieve a particular objective.”

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

MobilePunch /  🏆 8. in NG

Nigeria Latest News, Nigeria Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Nasarawa Stakeholders Seek IGP's Intervention In State Assembly CrisisNasarawa Stakeholders Seek IGP's Intervention In State Assembly CrisisFollowing the lingering leadership crisis at the Nasarawa State House of Assembly, some indigenes and residents of the State have called on the
Read more »

In Nasarawa, residents angry over built-but-locked health care centreIn Nasarawa, residents angry over built-but-locked health care centre''Their expectations were not fulfilled three years later as the health facility remained locked upon completion despite its huge....''
Read more »

NAF airstrike in Nasarawa killed only terrorists – MilitaryNAF airstrike in Nasarawa killed only terrorists – MilitaryThe Director, Public Relations and Information, Nigerian Air Force (NAF), Air Commodore Ayodele Famuyiwa, says the military airstrike of Jan. 24 in Nasarawa State only targeted and eliminated terrorists.   Famuyiwa said this while reacting to questions at a bi-weekly news briefing on the operations of the armed forces, on Thursday in Abuja.   He said the air strike was carried out after series of intel and surveillance, adding that innocent civilians were not killed as being speculated in some quarters.   He faulted the report by Human Rights Watch (HRW) alleging that the NAF bombarded herders who were evacuating their cattle in Kwatiri, a border community between Benue and Nasarawa.   In its report on June 7, HRW said “Nigerian authorities have provided little information and no justice” with regard to the airstrike.   “Although the authorities admitted carrying out the raid, the organisation said, they evaded “key questions” concerning the circumstances surrounding the attack.  …
Read more »

NAF: Those claiming civilians were killed in Nasarawa airstrike should provide evidence | TheCableNAF: Those claiming civilians were killed in Nasarawa airstrike should provide evidence | TheCableThe Nigerian Air Force (NAF) has again denied allegations that the airstrike on January 24 in Kwateri community, Nasarawa state, struck civilians. Ayodele Famuyiwa, NAF’s director of public relations and information,
Read more »

NAF tackles HRW, insists no civilian casualty in Nasarawa raidNAF tackles HRW, insists no civilian casualty in Nasarawa raidFamuyiwa said this while reacting to questions at a bi-weekly news briefing on the operations of the Armed Forces, on Thursday in Abuja.
Read more »

Pro-Tinubu Group Launches Platform To Monitor AppointeesPro-Tinubu Group Launches Platform To Monitor AppointeesA group under the aegis of the Nasarawa for Peace Initiative (NPI) has frowned at the continued resort to media trial by opposition elements in the state to
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-06 03:39:45