WASHINGTON – The U.S. Justice Department said on Wednesday it has charged five Chinese residents and two Malaysian businessmen in a wide-ranging hacking effort that encompassed targets from
Federal prosecutors said the Chinese nationals had been charged with hacking more than 100 companies in the United States and abroad, including software development companies, computer manufacturers, telecommunications providers, social media companies, gaming firms, nonprofits, universities, think-tanks as well as foreign governments and politicians and civil society figures in Hong Kong.
He further alleged that one of the Chinese defendants had boasted to a colleague that he was “very close” to China’s Ministry of State Security and would be protected “unless something very big happens.” Along with the alleged hackers, U.S. prosecutors also indicted two Malaysian businessmen, Wong Ong Hua, 46, and Ling Yang Ching, 32, who were charged with conspiring with two of the digital spies to profit from computer intrusions targeting videogame companies in the United States, France, Japan, Singapore and South Korea.
“Without compromising the integrity of any ongoing legal process, suffice to say that the company has never engaged in any illegal activity,” it said, adding that it was cooperating with authorities.
Nigeria Latest News, Nigeria Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
US envoy accuses China of insincerity toward Southeast AsiaA US official accused China on Tuesday, September 15, of bullying and insincerity in its dealings with Southeast Asian nations, but said Washington...
Read more »
Hong Kong protests to US over 'made in China' labeling rules
Read more »
Federal Reserve begins meeting as Congress pushes for new US stimulusAnalysts are watching for further details on the US Federal Reserve's new inflation targeting strategy, or comments on the outlook for economic recovery.
Read more »
Study hints COVID-19 may have been in the US as early as DecemberResearchers believe they have found evidence that the novel coronavirus may have been circulating in the US as early as late December, about a month before the current timeline from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows.
Read more »
US unveils broad vaccine plan — but no quick rolloutWASHINGTON — The government outlined a sweeping plan Wednesday to make vaccines for COVID-19 available for free to all Americans when proven safe and effective, though a top public health
Read more »
Dito taps US firms, sets ₱1B budget for cybersecurity amid espionage fearsDito Telecommunity is tapping American companies to provide cybersecurity services ahead of its rollout next year, with ₱1 billion set aside for data protection initiatives.
Read more »