The plan would complement the National Policy on Safety, Security and Violence-Free Schools with its implementing guidelines, adopted in 2021, the government had earlier mentioned
The gender advocate said, “School security is beyond bombing and abduction of school children; some schools are built close to filing stations, some in remote areas difficult to access, while in some, their only form of security can be best described as a gateman, as he can do little or nothing at the time of crisis.
“The problem appears intractable due to the lack of adequate responses by the governments, despite the country’s signing of the Safe School Declaration, a legally binding law domesticating the SSD that will promote effective implementation, enforcement and accountability.” Akiyode-Afolabi said the lack of an effective and coordinated partnership between the government, CSOs, and other relevant stakeholders on implementing the SSD programmes has been limited, with low budgetary allocations, leading to low demand for accountability from the government, adding that “there is no way we can have a secured school, if it is not appropriately financed,”.
Sanusi said, “Some schools in Ondo were attacked recently and most people are not aware, so also some students in Niger states have been away from school and no one is asking questions.
Nigeria Latest News, Nigeria Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
FG's response to schools' security poor despite attacks, WARDC laments | The Guardian Nigeria News - Nigeria and World NewsWomen Advocates Research and Documentation Center (WARDC) has lamented that schools and learning facilities across the country still suffer from pervasive insecurity due absence of adequate responses by the governments.
Read more »
Eight schools compete for cancer campaign prizeThe Atinuke Cancer Foundation has said its annual senior secondary school cancer awareness competition will improve information about the disease.
Read more »
Abuja-Kaduna Train Attack: Absence of Nigerian govt's prosecutors stalls Tukur Mamu’s trialTukur Mamu faces ten terrorism-related charges arising from his relationship with terrorists that carried out last year’s attack on a Kaduna-bound train.
Read more »
Six vigilantes killed in night attack in PlateauThere have been a series of attacks and reprisal attacks between pastoralists and farming communities in recent times in the state.
Read more »
Show Proof Alaba Market Demolition Isn’t Vengeful Political Attack Against Igbo Community, Oby Ezekwesili Tells Lagos Governor, Sanwo-Olu | Sahara ReportersA former education minister, Oby Ezekwesili, on Tuesday asked Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu to provide evidence to show that the ongoing demolition at Alaba International Market is not politically targeted at Igbo people. The demolition of distressed structures in the market started on Saturday, June 17. The Lagos State Building Control Agency (LASBCA) had reportedly marked at least 17 buildings for demolition as far back as 2016.
Read more »