The head of the Wagner force said Saturday he has ordered his mercenaries to halt their march on Moscow and retreat to their field camps in Ukraine to avoid shedding Russian blood. The announcement from Yevgeny Prigozhin appeared to defuse a growing crisis. Moscow had braced for the arrival of the private army led by the rebellious commander. And President Vladimir Putin had vowed he would face harsh consequences. Prigozhin said that while his men are just 200 kilometers (120 miles) from Moscow, he decided to turn them back to avoid 'shedding Russian blood.'
Russian Mercenary, Wagner Group Retreats From March Into Moscow After Ceasefire Deal Brokered By BelarusThe head of the Wagner force said Saturday he has ordered his mercenaries to halt their march on Moscow and retreat to their field camps in Ukraine to avoid shedding Russian blood.
The announcement follows a statement from the office of Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko saying that he had negotiated a deal with Prigozhin after previously discussing the issue with Putin. Prigozhin's actions represented the most significant challenge to Putin's leadership in his more than two decades in power."All those who prepared the rebellion will suffer inevitable punishment," Putin said."The armed forces and other government agencies have received the necessary orders."
Wagner troops and equipment also were in Lipetsk province, about 360 kilometers south of Moscow, where authorities"are taking all necessary measures to ensure the safety of the population," said regional Gov. Igor Artamonov, via Telegram. He did not elaborate. The Federal Security Service, or FSB, called for Prigozhin's arrest Friday night after he declared the armed rebellion.
Nigeria Latest News, Nigeria Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
180 Russian Soldiers Have Surrendered To Mercenary Group, Wagner – Ukrainian Expert Claims | Sahara ReportersNo fewer than 180 Russian soldiers have surrendered to mercenary group, Wagner PMC, in the Voronezh region, according to Ukrainian military expert Oleksandr Kovalenko. Also, reports added that Wagner PMC disarmed a Russian military company without resistance at the Bugaevka border crossing (in the Voronezh region of the Russian Federation). Forward Wagner convoys have already entered the Voronezh region of the Russian Federation and are moving towards Moscow with armoured vehicles.
Read more »
Domestic Crisis: Russian Mercenary Leader, Prigozhin Vows To ‘Punish’ President Putin's Military Chiefs | Sahara ReportersRussian government accused mercenary chief, Yevgeny Prigozhin, of armed mutiny on Friday after he alleged, without providing evidence, that the military leadership had killed a huge number of his fighters in an air strike and vowed to punish them. The standoff, many of whose details remained unclear, looked like the biggest domestic crisis President Vladimir Putin has faced since he ordered a full-scale invasion of Ukraine - something he called a 'special military operation' - in February last year, Reuters reports.
Read more »
Russian mercenary chief leads armed rebellion, vows to topple country's military leadersYevgeny Prigozhin, leader of a private army called Wagner in Russia, has mobilised his troops against President Vladmir Putin.
Read more »
Putin vows to defeat Wagner as rebels advance on MoscowPutin accused Prighozin -- whose private army provided shock troops for Moscow's offensive in Ukraine
Read more »
Russian army HQ captured withot ‘a single shot’ — Wagner chiefPrigozhin's fighters crossed into Russia from occupied Ukraine overnight and took the army HQ in the southern city, which serves as a key operational hub for Moscow's forces in Ukraine
Read more »
Wagner group's rebellion has exposed Russia's weakness, says Zelenskyy | TheCableVolodymyr Zelenskyy, president of Ukraine, says the rebellion of Wagner Group, a private mercenary force in Russia, has revealed the 'full-scale weakness' of the Kremlin.
Read more »