“The attack was launched from the north and unquestionably sponsored by Iran.”
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo speaks with a Saudi official before boarding his flight to depart from King Abdulaziz International Airport in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, on September 19, 2019.
The two sides “agreed that the Iranian regime must be held accountable for its continued aggressive, reckless, and threatening behaviour,” State Department spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus said in a statement after their talks. “The attack was launched from the north and unquestionably sponsored by Iran,” defence ministry spokesman Turki al-Maliki said, but would not be drawn on whether Saudi officials believed Iran would ultimately be found to be the culprit.Tehran-linked Huthi rebels in the kingdom’s southern neighbour Yemen have claimed responsibility, but both Washington and Riyadh have ruled that out, saying it was beyond their capabilities.
He also threatened the United Arab Emirates, a key member of the Saudi-led coalition fighting the Huthis, saying that it was ready to attack dozens of targets including the skyscraper-filled cities of Dubai and Abu Dhabi. Cinzia Bianco, a Middle East analyst at the European Council on Foreign Relations, said the incident could possibly “trigger an out-of-control chain of escalatory events.”
Nigeria Latest News, Nigeria Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Nigeria moves to recover N5tr debts owed AMCON | The Guardian Nigeria News - Nigeria and World NewsFollowing the challenges encountered in the debt-recovery processes and the very limited results recorded so far, the committee is expected to consider other options, including taking enforcement measures in actually recovering the debts. Nigeria AMCON
Read more »
Rohr declares Nigeria’s goalkeeping problems over | The Guardian Nigeria News - Nigeria and World NewsSuper Eagles manager, Gernot Rohr has assured Nigerian football fans that the goalkeeping problem that has plagued the national team is now a thing of the past, reports soccernet.ng.
Read more »
Nigeria – Fuji House of Commotion | The Guardian Nigeria News - Nigeria and World NewsA hallmark of governance in Nigeria since 1966 is policy reversal by succeeding governments and attendant unfinished businesses.
Read more »
Sad news from Jo’bourg and other stories | The Guardian Nigeria News - Nigeria and World News“Tufiakwa! Perish that thought there is no pleasure in that position. Anyway, you have just exposed yourself as one of those envying President Muhammadu Buhari’s job
Read more »
Task Force arrests 71 at Oshodi drug spots | The Guardian Nigeria News - Nigeria and World NewsThe operatives of the Lagos State Task Force have arrested another 71 miscreants around railway-line in Oshodi as part of efforts to rid the State of criminal elements, especially those operating at notorious blackspots across the metropolis. The Chairman of the Agency, CSP Olayinka Egbeyemi, who led the enforcement team in an early morning raid, …
Read more »