Oyo's N1.2bn grain silos not in sight 10 years after conception | TheCable

Nigeria News News

Oyo's N1.2bn grain silos not in sight 10 years after conception | TheCable
Nigeria Latest News,Nigeria Headlines
  • 📰 thecableng
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 91 sec. here
  • 3 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 40%
  • Publisher: 80%

Abiola Jagumolu, a farmer in Oyo town, described the project as a good initiative that could have reshaped the agricultural sector of the state had it been actualised.

“You know that if the project had been implemented, it would be capable of providing over 2000 jobs to our youths because, with about 10,000 metric tons, its potential would enhance agricultural narratives in our state,” Jagumolu said.

“I was there when the project was just starting. I saw its plans and projections. I saw the seriousness being put into executing it. So, I feel the Ajimobi-led government was just being modest with its promises,” the official noted.“From my experience with the old one, I can tell you that if that facility had been completed, it would have easily taken extra 25,000 tons of grains. Actually, I worked at the old silos built by Awolowo and we seamlessly put over 7,000 tons in the storage facility.

Ayobami Sanda, OGF chairman, said the group made the contractor sign a memorandum of understanding prepared by Wale Adeoye, an Oyo-based lawyer, on September 9, 2021, and witnessed by one Adewole Alabi, an engineer. The contractor committed to completing the project by March 31, 2022, and handing it over to the government; while both parties made the agreement in the interest of the public.

“It is unfortunate that the contractor is deliberately making the project impossible to complete despite all we have done to resolve the matter. He has always been evasive even after we used the MoU to force his hands; Oyo state is yet to see its much dreamed-about grain silos,” Sanda lamented. The reporter was directed to the ministry’s permanent secretary, Bode Raji, who talked sparingly about the project. He said: “I’m not authorised to talk about the project; only the contractor is permitted. He should have the full details of what transpired because the legal agitation is still on.”

The state government has reportedly accused the contractor of breaching the project agreement. Speaking with the reporter, Niyi Adebisi, commissioner for agriculture, said the contractor should be blamed for sabotaging the project and must be made to account for the abandonment of the project.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

thecableng /  🏆 2. in NG

Nigeria Latest News, Nigeria Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Ukraine to set up grain hubs in Nigeria 'to boost bilateral ties' | TheCableUkraine to set up grain hubs in Nigeria 'to boost bilateral ties' | TheCableThe government of Ukraine has expressed readiness to establish grain hubs in Nigeria and other African countries. The country also donated about 25,000 tonnes of grains to Nigeria to boost
Read more »

Court Affirms Adelabu as Accord Party Guber Candidate in Oyo – THISDAYLIVECourt Affirms Adelabu as Accord Party Guber Candidate in Oyo – THISDAYLIVE
Read more »

Anonymous Supporter Donates Campaign Secretariat to Tinubu in Oyo – THISDAYLIVEAnonymous Supporter Donates Campaign Secretariat to Tinubu in Oyo – THISDAYLIVE
Read more »

Elections: Political parties to sign peace accord in Kwara | TheCableElections: Political parties to sign peace accord in Kwara | TheCablePolitical parties in Kwara are to sign a peace accord to ensure an equal playing ground in the upcoming general election. The peace accord will be signed by the parties
Read more »

Poverty has increased in Lagos since Sanwo-Olu became governor, says Jandor | TheCablePoverty has increased in Lagos since Sanwo-Olu became governor, says Jandor | TheCableOlajide Adediran, governorship candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Lagos, says the poverty level in the state has increased from 4.5 percent to 8.5 percent since the start of Babajide Sanwo-Olu’s government.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-05 02:19:54