Obasanjo’s mediation pushes Tigray forces to surrender weapons

Nigeria News News

Obasanjo’s mediation pushes Tigray forces to surrender weapons
Nigeria Latest News,Nigeria Headlines
  • 📰 MobilePunch
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 50 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 23%
  • Publisher: 63%

After former President Olusegun Obasanjo-led mediation in the African Union peace process, the Tigray forces who fought a two-year war against Ethiopia’s Federal Government have begun the handing over of their heavy weaponry to the national army on Tuesday.

The handover in the town of Agulae, around 30 km northeast of the regional capital Mekelle, was overseen by a monitoring team comprising members of the two sides and a regional body, the Intergovernmental Authority on Development.

At the ceremony, Tigray Defence Forces representative Mulugeta Gebrechristos said the start of the disarmament would play a major role in restoring peace. “We are operating with the belief that if we are to have peace, all things that open the door for provocation must not be there. Peace is vital for us all,” Mulugeta said in a speech broadcast on Tigrai TV.

“We are all one Ethiopia. Both us and the TDF have moved from our respective defensive positions in peace, understanding and love,” said Aleme Tadesse, a representative of the Ethiopian army. Eritrean soldiers pulled out of several major towns in Tigray late last month but have not left Tigrayan territory, according to residents. Eritrea has declined to comment on whether troops will leave.All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

MobilePunch /  🏆 8. in NG

Nigeria Latest News, Nigeria Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Emefiele: SSS Arrests Middle Belt Youths PresidentEmefiele: SSS Arrests Middle Belt Youths PresidentMen of the State Security Service (SSS) have arrested the President of Middle Belt Youth Vanguard, Godwin Meliga, who was part of the coalition of gro
Read more »

Emefiele: Condemnation Trails Arrest Of Middle Belt Youths President MeligaEmefiele: Condemnation Trails Arrest Of Middle Belt Youths President MeligaCondemnation and outrage have greeted the arrest of the President of the Middle Belt Youth Vanguard, Mr. Godwin Meliga, by the Department of State Ser
Read more »

Tinubu will be special envoy, Obi trade minister if I become president - ImumolenTinubu will be special envoy, Obi trade minister if I become president - ImumolenAccord Party (AP) presidential candidate, Prof. Christopher Imumolen said he would adopt the principle of all-inclusiveness in selecting his cabinet if he
Read more »

Northern Govs Will Ensure Tinubu Emerges Next President, Says Sule – THISDAYLIVENorthern Govs Will Ensure Tinubu Emerges Next President, Says Sule – THISDAYLIVE
Read more »

Election petition tribunals not for money-making, a'court president warns registrars | TheCableElection petition tribunals not for money-making, a'court president warns registrars | TheCableMonica Dongban-Mensem, president of the court of appeal, has cautioned registrars of the 2023 election petition tribunals against corrupt acts. Speaking on Monday at a capacity building workshop for members
Read more »

2023: Appeal Court President issues warning to election tribunal registrars2023: Appeal Court President issues warning to election tribunal registrarsWith less than two months to Nigeria's general elections, Ms Dongban-Mensem said the training was meant to highlight the challenges...
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-05 19:34:06