Describing the attacks as sickening, Nigeria’s foreign affairs minister Geoffrey Onyeama said South African police protection for Nigerian businesses has been “ineffective”. Nigeria SouthAfrica Xenophobia
Nigeria Monday said it will take “definitive measures” as xenophobic attacks against Nigerian-owned businesses continue in South Africa.
Describing the attacks as sickening, Nigeria’s foreign affairs minister Geoffrey Onyeama said South African police protection for Nigerian businesses has been “ineffective”.The minister said Nigerians were attacked and their businesses looted by “criminals” whom South African police is struggling to contain.
Adetola Olubajo, the president of Nigeria Union South Africa, an association of Nigerian residents in the country said in a statement Monday that many foreign-owned businesses were destroyed by South Africans in escalating xenophobic rages. “Nigerian-owned businesses were seriously affected,” Olubajo said. “A car sales business owned by a Nigerian were among the several businesses set ablaze over the night.”
“Although the Police said that many people had been arrested in connection with the unnecessary attacks, the looting and burning of foreign-owned businesses continued till Monday morning.”
Nigeria Latest News, Nigeria Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Deadly parcel from South Africa - Deadly parcel from South AfricaNigeria News - South Africa: IN the colonial era, it was normal to see Whites brutalising and oppressing Blacks as aptly epitomised by the atrocious ...
Read more »
South African divestment, rights issue boost Lafarge Africa by N239bn - Vanguard NewsNigeria News - LAFARGE Africa Plc’s financial position has been strengthened by about N239 billion as a result of its recently concluded fully subscribed
Read more »
South Africans again loot, burn foreign-owned properties - Premium Times NigeriaAlthough the Police said many people had been arrested, the looting and burning of foreign-owned businesses continued till Monday morning
Read more »
Ohanaeze declares war on erring herdsmen in South East zone - Daily Post NigeriaOhanaeze Ndigbo Youth Council Worldwide has declared war against any erring pastoralists caught up trespassing from one Community to another by cattle Conv
Read more »
Nnamdi Kanu reacts to resolution of South East Governors meeting on security - Daily Post NigeriaNnamdi Kanu, leader of the outlawed Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, has reacted to the meeting convened by South East Governors on Saturday. DAILY POST
Read more »