The drive by the government to raise its non-oil revenue may have come under threat as no less than 4,817 containers fully loaded with export goods are currently trapped at the Lagos port.
Vanguard findings show that out of this, 616 have been abandoned for over three years, thereby worsening the fate of small and medium scale enterprises in the export business.
Following complaints by shippers and their agents over trapped export containers, APM Terminal said that it has convinced shipping giant, Maersk shipping line, to evacuate 1,900 of trapped containers from their facility by Wednesday, May 8, 2024. Explaining the reason for the delay, the Government Relations Manager of APM Terminal, Kayode Daniel, said some of the containers that were allowed into the terminal did not get clearance from Customs to be loaded onboard vessels for export.
The Shippers Council boss had earlier decried the time wasted at the port by export cargo, especially at a time when the federal government is looking at diversifying the economy.Also speaking at the meeting, Deputy Director, Consumers Services, NSC, Celestine Akunjobi, wondered why the shipping line had to wait for APM Terminal’s intervention before agreeing to pick the cargoes, claiming that the delay was a deliberate action on the part on the shipping lines.
Nigeria Latest News, Nigeria Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
London-to-Lagos Solo Driver Pelumi Nubi Arrives in LagosThe Lagos State Government has honored Nigerian-British woman Pelumi Nubi, who did a solo drive from London to Lagos.
Read more »
Excitement as Lagos receives solo London-Lagos driverThe Nation Newspaper Excitement as Lagos receives solo London-Lagos driver
Read more »
Landmark, FG, Lagos in talks over rerouting Lagos-Calabar coastal road projectA major tripartite talk has begun between Landmark Group, Federal Ministry of Works and Lagos authorities on the rerouting of about 1.5km
Read more »
Excitement as Lagos receives solo driver from London to LagosThe Nation Newspaper Excitement as Lagos receives solo driver from London to Lagos
Read more »
Lagos State Governor honours London-Lagos solo driver with new car, houseLagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, on Monday, received travel content creator, Pelumi Nubi, at the Government House, following her arrival in Lagos on Sunday after 68 days of driving solo from London. DAILY POST recalls that the content creator had earlier announced that she would be driving from London to Lagos some months ago.
Read more »
Five Major Reasons You Should Visit LagosLagos has something for everyone. Here are the five major reasons you should visit Lagos, and they are also the reasons Lagos continues
Read more »