THE unabated xenophobic attacks have sparked a diplomatic row between Africa’s giant economies – Nigeria and South Africa.
The Federal Government is considering a full range of measures in retaliation for the killing of Nigerians including a withdrawal of its high commissioner.About two hundred Nigerians have been killed in recent years and millions of dollars lost to attacks on businesses.
The minister, who spoke to the media after meeting with the President and vice president, said a red line had been drawn with South Africa, where almost 200 Nigerians. The minister said the Nigerian government would insist on full compensation for Nigerian victims of the xenophobic attacks. “Of course, a lot of things have been circulating in social media which have not helped matters. Some of them have really distorted the situation that has impacted in our response.
“So, the people that will suffer from those acts of vandalism and aggression are not South Africans or anyone else but Nigerians. But morally, it is wrong not even because of who will suffer and not suffer. “But, on this occasion, the Nigerian government is going to fight for full compensation and hold the government of South Africa to count. And we are going to consider other options to ensure that the message gets across to the government of South Africa.
Onyeama said the Federal Government will not compromise the protection and wellbeing of Nigerians in any part of the globe.
Nigeria Latest News, Nigeria Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
South Africa police minister blames criminality for attacks | The Guardian Nigeria News - Nigeria and World NewsSouth African police minister Bheki Cele Monday said criminality, not xenophobia, should be blamed for the attacks on foreign-owned businesses in the country. “Nothing… has sparked any form of conflict between the South African and foreign nationals,” Cele said. Cele’s comment contrasted the views of Nigerian, Ethiopian and Zambian authorities after many businesses owned non-South Africans …
Read more »
BREAKING: Buhari, Osinbajo meet over xenophobia as Nigeria boycotts WEF in South Africa - Daily Post NigeriaPresident Muhammadu Buhari and Vice President Yemi Osinbajo are meeting with the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama to discuss next step on Xeno
Read more »
BREAKING: Nigeria recalls Ambassador to South Africa - Premium Times NigeriaNigerian delegates also pulled out of the World Economic Summit holding in Cape Town on Wednesday
Read more »
Xenophobia: President Buhari to recall Nigeria High Commissioner to South Africa - Daily Post NigeriaPresident Muhammadu Buhari has concluded every arrangement to recall the Nigeria High Commissioner to South Africa, Ambassador Kabiru Bala, according to th
Read more »