Niger govt takes after Ganduje, bans street begging
The Niger State government on Thursday joined its Kano State counterpart by announcing the ban on all forms of street begging.
DAILY POST recalls that days ago, Governor of Kano State, Abdullahi Ganduje banned street begging by children known as Almajiris. The government disclosed that the order would integrate the Almajiri system into the policy and address the lingering problem of street begging. Alhaji Mohammed Idris, the state Commissioner of Information speaking at a news conference in Minna, said that the decision was approved during the weekly Executive Council meeting as a result of rising insecurity.He added that adult beggars would be prosecuted, while parents of children seen begging would also be prosecuted.“This is because security challenges in the state is on the rise, therefore putting a ban on street begging will help mitigate and address the security challenges,” he said.
Idris explained that the effort was to safeguard lives and property of the residents, adding that modalities had been put in place to prosecute defaulters.
Nigeria Latest News, Nigeria Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Kano: Ganduje govt accuses Emir Sanusi of fresh N2.2bn scam - Daily Post NigeriaThe Umar Ganduje-led Kano government has accused the Emir of Kano, Malam Muhammad Sanusi II, of N2.2 billion land scam. The Kano State Public Complaints
Read more »
Niger Delta activist hails Buhari's choice of Jamoh as NIMASA DG - Daily Post NigeriaN'Delta Activist, Tamuno commends President Buhari for appointing Jamoh as NIMASA DG Ijaw leader and Niger Delta Activist, General George Tamuno has
Read more »
Rep accuses Amaechi, Dakuku of attempting to hijack Delta state project for Rivers - Daily Post NigeriaA member of the House of Representatives, Julius Pondi from Delta state has accused the Minister of Transport, Rotimi Amaechi and Director General of
Read more »
5 female students, teacher, others kidnapped in Niger community – Daily TrustEight persons, including five female students, a teacher and two gatemen, have been reportedly kidnapped by armed bandits in Niger state.
Read more »
Niger Bans Street Begging - THISDAYLIVEBy Laleye Dipo in Minna The Niger State government has banned street begging effective from February 26, 2020 but said the ban does not affect the almajiri system of education. The Commissioner for Information, Alhaji Mohammed Sani Idris, who made this known while addressing newsmen in Minna, said the state executive council, which met on …
Read more »
Gunmen kidnap five female students, teacher, gatemen in Niger“We have since deployed Special Technical Squad and Armed Anti-Kidnapping Squad to identified areas with a view to rescuing the victims unhurt,’’ the commissioner said.”
Read more »