Showmax was launched in 2015 in South Africa but has, over the years, spread rapidly across the continent, operating in scores of countries.
“We’re writing to inform you of an important update regarding Showmax,” the streaming platform said in the mail sent to its subscribers. “Following a comprehensive review, the Showmax Board has taken the decision to discontinue the Showmax service in the near future.
” MultiChoice said the move is a reflection of its bid to “focus on strengthening our overall digital offering and ensuring long-term sustainability in an increasingly competitive streaming environment. “Importantly, at the moment there will be no interruption to your current service. You can continue streaming as usual, and no action is required from you at this time”.While it did not provide a timeline for the discontinuation of the Showmax streaming service, MultiChoice said subscribers remain their “priority”. “We understand that this news may raise questions. Showmax subscribers are a priority for us, and we are working on plans to ensure clear communication and a smooth transition when the time comes.“We will share further details well in advance, including timelines and any future steps, should they be required,” the subscription video-on-demand, over-the-top streaming service said. Showmax was launched in 2015 in South Africa but has, over the years, spread rapidly across the continent, operating in scores of countries. Its operation began to compete with global streaming platforms and to respond to increasing demands for online entertainment on the continent.Last year, South African authorities approved the takeover of MultiChoice by pay-TV powerhouse and StudioCanal parent company Canal+. That move paved the way for the French media giant to acquire Africa’s largest pay-TV group, which includes DStv and GOtv. Under the terms of the deal, Canal+ has made a mandatory cash offer of ZAR 125 per share to acquire all outstanding ordinary shares of MultiChoice not already owned by the French media group. The approved conditions include public interest commitments aimed at enhancing the participation of historically disadvantaged persons and small, micro, and medium enterprises in South Africa’s audiovisual sector. The commitments also guarantee sustained investment in local general entertainment and sports programming. Canal+ and MultiChoice are now set to implement a structural arrangement, unveiled in February, which addresses local ownership regulations under South Africa’s Electronic Communications Act. The plan includes the separation of MultiChoice’s South African broadcasting licensee, MultiChoice, into an independent, HDP-majority-owned entity.
United States Latest News, United States Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Deputy Speaker Faces Probe, Urged to Step Down Over NYSC, Law School AllegationsA Trusted Nigerian Newspaper
Read more »
Anambra Government Cracks Down on School Absences Amidst Sit-at-Home OrderThe Anambra State Government is taking strong action against students who miss school on Mondays due to the sit-at-home order. The Commissioner for Education has warned that students who stay away from school without a valid reason will face disciplinary action, including suspension. This policy aims to ensure normal academic activities and counter the disruption caused by the order. The government is also monitoring the conduct of the 2026 Transition Placement Examination across the state.
Read more »
We may not have capacity to take down full barrage of Iranian dronesUnited States top military leaders met with lawmakers in a private meeting on Tuesday and said they might not be able to destroy all the Iranian drones that are being sent toward US military bases and targets as part of revenge attacks.
Read more »
MultiChoice announces plans to discontinue Showmax streaming serviceMultiChoice Group says it plans to discontinue Showmax, it's streaming platform, as part of a broader review of its digital strategy.
Read more »
After 11 years, MultiChoice to shut down Showmax streaming serviceMultiChoice, parent company of DStv and GOtv, has revealed plans to shut down its streaming platform Showmax after more than a decade of operation.
Read more »
Showmax Closure and the Future of Streaming in Africa: A Call for Indigenous PlatformsThe closure of Showmax, a streaming service majority-owned by MultiChoice, prompts a reflection on the future of digital entertainment in Africa. The decision, made shortly after Canal+ acquired MultiChoice Group, highlights a competitive market and a need for local solutions. Nigerian media figures, like Mo Abudu, emphasize the potential of indigenous platforms and encourage building sustainable business models that are tailored to the African market. This shift reflects a broader trend of consolidation and strategic adaptation within the global entertainment industry.
Read more »



