Independent MP Dai Le believes an 'open dialogue' between MPs and the government about the repatriation of former ISIS brides and children would have been 'very, very fruitful' and 'alleviate a lot of fears' from the community.
Four Australian women and their 13 children arrived in Sydney on Saturday after the government announced it would repatriate them from the al-Roj Syrian camp – where they had been living since the fall of Islamic State in 2019.
Stream more on politics with Flash. 25+ news channels in 1 place. New to Flash? Try 1 month free. Offer ends 31 October, 2023 > “I’ve been approached by quite a lot of members of the church and people who say they’re very fearful and too scared to speak out because a lot of their families are still back there and in a region that’s controlled by ISIS,” she said.
“Where we are now is because of the lack of consultation and all the government had to do was to reach out and to talk to the community leaders… and to share with us what’s going on so that we can engage with our community,” she said. “The decision to repatriate these women and their children was informed by individual assessments following detailed work by national security agencies,” she said.
Despite her concerns, Ms Le supported the repatriation of the families who were living in Syria and had fought against ISIS while waiting in refugee camps.
Nigeria Latest News, Nigeria Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
How 'ISIS brides' and their children are being resettled back in AustraliaThe wives and children of fighters for the self-proclaimed Islamic State group have begun returning to Australia. This is what we know about the repatriation operation so far, and what one expert says is essential to their resettlement.
Read more »
Steve Christou labels ISIS repatriation an 'absolute betrayal'Another western Sydney leader has weighed in on the return of ISIS families as former Cumberland City mayor Steve Christou says there's been 'radio silence' from the Albanese government.
Read more »
Victorian opposition objects to repatriation of ‘so-called Isis brides’, as election campaign beginsMatthew Guy says allowing families of fighters to resettle from Syria could compromise the safety of Victorians
Read more »
‘Open dialogue’ about return of ISIS brides would have ‘alleviated fears’Independent MP Dai Le says an “open dialogue” from the government about the repatriation of Islamic State-linked families to Australia would have been fruitful and “alleviated fears”. Four women and their 13 children, who had been living inside the al-Roj Syrian camp since the fall of IS in 2019, arrived at Sydney airport on the weekend. “I cannot emphasize enough how fearful many members of my community are about this situation,” Ms Le told Sky News Australia. “Where we are now is because of the lack of consultation, and all the government had to do was reach out and to talk to the community leaders.”
Read more »
Vaucluse-bound Independent Karen Freyer sells for $3m in Redfern and focuses east - realestate.com.auIndependent NSW election candidate Karen Freyer has sold her Redfern terrace for $3m, vowing to “put my money where my mouth is”.
Read more »