Hong Kong seethes one year on, but protesters on the back foot

Nigeria News News

Hong Kong seethes one year on, but protesters on the back foot
Nigeria Latest News,Nigeria Headlines
  • 📰 GuardianNigeria
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 56 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 26%
  • Publisher: 94%

“After Hong Kongers spared no effort to resist, the Chinese Communist Party’s persecution went to every length to force us to give in.” HongKong Protest

Seven months of massive and often violent rallies kicked off on June 9 last year when as many as one million people took to the streets to oppose a bill allowing extraditions to mainland China.

“After Hong Kongers spared no effort to resist, the Chinese Communist Party’s persecution went to every length to force us to give in,” Jimmy Sham, from the Civil Human Rights front, a group that espouses non-violence, told reporters on Tuesday.Flash-mob protests were held during the lunchtime break in multiple malls but crowds were just a few hundred strong. Messaging groups also called for gatherings in the evening.

The city has largely stopped local coronavirus transmissions and avoided lockdowns but Lam has denied keeping restrictions in place to stop protests.Under a deal signed with Britain ahead of the 1997 handover, China agreed to let Hong Kong keep certain freedoms and autonomy for 50 years. Instead, China has unveiled plans to impose a more sweeping law — one that will bypass the city’s legislature entirely — banning subversion, secession, terrorism and foreign interference.

“First loses the hearts and minds of Hong Kong’s people and then it seeks to force them to be loyal,” said Kong Tsung-gan, an activist who has published three books on the protest movement.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

GuardianNigeria /  🏆 1. in NG

Nigeria Latest News, Nigeria Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Edo: Intrigues as Obaseki, Oshiomhole go for brokeEdo: Intrigues as Obaseki, Oshiomhole go for brokeThe Nation gathered that following fears that the Obaseki camp may stop at nothing to get Ize-Iyamu out of the way even if he wins the primary election, it was decided that a fallback position must be created by the pro-Oshiomhole group...
Read more »

Messi to face Mallorca, says Setien - The Nation Nigeria NewsMessi to face Mallorca, says Setien - The Nation Nigeria NewsLionel Messi will be fit to play in Barcelona’s first game back against Real Mallorca, despite some “minor tightness” in his right thigh, coach Quique Setien said on Sunday...
Read more »

Ekiti Deputy Governor hails sixth assembly's first year in office - Daily Post NigeriaEkiti Deputy Governor hails sixth assembly's first year in office - Daily Post NigeriaThe Deputy Governor of Ekiti State, Otunba Bisi Egbeyemi has congratulated members of the 6th House of Assembly on their first anniversary in office.
Read more »

Call us anything, we won’t change our style – Senate PresidentCall us anything, we won’t change our style – Senate PresidentIn this exclusive interview, the Senate President, Ahmad Lawan, speaks on his one-year stewardship as Chairman of the National Assembly, senator’s relationship with the executive arm of government …
Read more »

Policeman charged with Floyd murder appears in courtPoliceman charged with Floyd murder appears in courtMinneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin made his first court appearance Monday charged with the murder of George Floyd, the 46-year-old African-American man whose death sparked nationwide protests. Read more:
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-07 00:55:25