Booster dose timing changed due to evidence of waning immunity

Nigeria News News

Booster dose timing changed due to evidence of waning immunity
Nigeria Latest News,Nigeria Headlines
  • 📰 smh
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 29 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 15%
  • Publisher: 80%

A federal government decision to bring COVID-19 booster shots forward came after laboratory testing showed immunity from the coronavirus waned within six months after two doses | rachelclun

Department of Health Secretary Professor Brendan Murphy said although the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation decided earlier this month, emerging data meant that needed to be shortened.

Professor Murphy and Health Minister Greg Hunt both received booster shots of the Moderna vaccine on Sunday morning, after the vaccine was approved for use as a third dose by the ATAGI. By the end of December, 4.1 million Australians will be eligible for boosters, a month earlier than originally expected.

People can get either booster, no matter which vaccine they had initially. While AstraZeneca is not formally approved as a booster, people who had adverse reactions to the mRNA vaccine can have that as a third dose instead, Professor Murphy said.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

smh /  🏆 6. in AU

Nigeria Latest News, Nigeria Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Booster rollout fast-tracked as data reveals Omicron immunity declines from six monthsBooster rollout fast-tracked as data reveals Omicron immunity declines from six monthsAustralians will now be able to receive a Moderna or a Pfizer booster shot five months after their last vaccination after new evidence showing immunity to the Omicron variant waning six months after a second dose.
Read more »

Australia's COVID-19 booster shots brought forward to five-month markAustralia&x27;s vaccine booster program has been brought forward by a month due to the Omicron variant as ATAGI approved Moderna booster shots
Read more »

Booster access brought forward to slow spread of Omicron COVID-19 variantBooster access brought forward to slow spread of Omicron COVID-19 variantMillions of Australians are now able to access a COVID-19 booster shot one month earlier than expected, after a change to the national rollout in response to the Omicron variant.
Read more »

COVID-19 booster shots recommended after five monthsCOVID-19 booster shots recommended after five monthsThe Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation has recommended the time frame between the second and third dose of the COVID-19 vaccine to be cut from six to five months.
Read more »

NSW records 485 new cases of COVID-19, two deathsNSW records 485 new cases of COVID-19, two deathsWaiting times for COVID-19 vaccine boosters will be cut from six to five months under plans to be unveiled by the federal government on Sunday.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-08-29 09:16:16